The Filmmakers Podcast that Breaks the Rules
Crossing the 180 was originally launched in the spring of 2010 and was the first filmmaking podcast we produced. It was a show providing education and inspiration to filmmakers and video producers of all kinds. If Radio Film School is the “This American Life” of filmmaking, Crossing the 180 was “Fresh Air” (alluding to the popular NPR interview show hosted by Terry Gross).
Guests ran the gamut from the obvious to the obscure. Established professionals in Hollywood like X-Men producer Ralph Winter, or Terminator: Salvation DP Shane Hurlbut; Book of Eli co-director Albert Hughes; 24 DP Rodney Charters; to social media juggernauts like international cinematographer and camera guru Philip Bloom and DSLR filmmaking trailblazer Vincent Laforet; to amazing short film filmmakers like Brandon McCormick of Whitestone Motion Pictures or Vimeo darling Eliot Rausch; Emmy-winner Patrick Moreau of Stillmotion; to docu filmmakers like”Everything is a Remix” creator Kirby Ferguson; and even wedding and event filmmakers like wunderkind and USC film grad Kevin Shahinian or “the man” himself, Ray Roman. 110 episodes in all!
Previously archived episodes will soon be available FREE to Dare Dreamer FM premium members. We’ll have batches of classic episodes available for purchase for non-members. Some of the X180 series we’ll have available include:
- X180 – The Whole Shebang: all 110 episodes
- X180 – Dope DPs: interviews with directors of photography like Rodney Charters, Phil Bloom, Vincent Laforet, Shane Hurlbut, Nino Leitner and Ryan Booth to name a few. (Available now).
- The Best of X180: our overall most inspiring interviews from the 110 episodes.
- X180 – Vimeo Darlings: interviews with filmmakers who hit Staff Pick “gold”, e.g. Eliot Rausch, Dana Saint and Dan Riordan of Gnarly Bay, and Jesse Rosten. (Now available.)
- X180 – The Wedding Rock Stars: a collection of interviews with some of the top wedding filmmakers in the world, e.g. Ray Roman, Patrick Moreau, Kevin Shahinian, Joe Simon, the late David Robin, and more. (Now available)
- X180 – Docs that Rock: our favorite documentary filmmaker interviews with people like Kirby Ferguson, Brian Storm, and the makers of “Indie Game”
- X180 – The Hollywood Heros: interviews with filmmakers, producers and writers working in “Tinsel Town”
- X180 – The Socialites: filmmakers making a splash on the social media market, like YouTubers Ryan Connolly and Mesh Flinders.
- X180 – The Crank Calls: yes, I know it was childish. And yes, I was a grown man. But boy, the crank call segment in the early days of the show were hilarious. They were fun aspects of our sponsor segments. Like when I called up Wal-Mart’s video department to see if they had a copy of my appearance on Zacuto’s Film Fellas. Or when I called a local Domino’s to see if they were selling the latest Z-finder.
Best of X180
Here’s a “Best of..” show with segments from, well, some of our best shows (thus the name. 😉 This episode includes segments from my interviews with Kirby Ferguson (“Everything is a Remix”), Vincent Laforet (“Reverie” and “Mobius”), Santino Stoner (Rob Bell’s “Nooma” films), Ryan Connolly (“Film Riot”) and Eliot Rausch (“Last Days with Oden” and winner of inaugural Vimeo film fest). It even includes a my “Jerky Boys”-style call to The Dollar Tree asking for Zacuto’s Gorilla Base Plate and EVF.
Be on the look out for these to start rolling out in early 2016. Prices will most likely be in the $9.95 to $24.95 range per series, depending on the number of episodes in each (the “Whole Shebang” will be $74.95). Every now and then, we’ll post some individual episodes as a free weekly bonus to email subscribers. Premium Members will have permanent FREE access to all series as they become available, and only pay $29.95 for the “Whole Shebang”.
Or, sign up for our email list to be notified as they arrive and get access to periodic bonus uploads.